Friday, August 6, 2010

Music Hotel




Music Hotel © 2010 by Ken West, all rights reserved

 

I was walking two or three blocks near my hotel. Dusk was turning into darkness. I spotted the seedy-looking hotel I had passed the other night. But tonight it looked different. The yellowish light from inside looked warm and inviting. I could see a tall, dark man through the plate glass window. He was setting up a microphone as his companions got their guitars and shiny brass horns ready to play. I continued walking.


By the time I came back, music was coming from inside the place. Couldn’t really hear the melody, but I could almost feel it with my eyes. I moved closer to the window. The formerly dingy hotel lobby now looked like a Cuban nightclub. Patrons of the hotel lined the walls, listening to the tall guy singing as his fellow musicians played along. I wanted to go inside and listen, but I didn’t. I watched from outside, standing alone in the dark.


The next day, I went over to the hotel to ask about the performance. No one at the hotel admitted that it had ever taken place.

But, I saw it. If only I had gone inside to listen.


Ken West, a former U.S. Army paratrooper, is president of Better Grip Media LLC and author of Get What You Want! Workbook… available worldwide on Amazon.com and other online booksellers. In the U.S. at http://bit.ly/alF9vp.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter