Tuesday, March 2, 2010

CPA

CPA Copyright © 2010, all rights reserved, by Ken West

“You’ll need to sign this and then I’ll send it off electronically,” said the Certified Public Accountant.


He looked like a young Jackie Mason, the comic. In fact, he was kind of funny for a CPA. I signed the tax return and he went off to make copies. When he came back he asked about my right-wing political magazine, how it was going. The last time I was in his office I gave him a copy.


“OK,” I said, “except I’m not making much money with it. At least it’s copyrighted.”


“Copyrighted?” he asked with a sarcastic, almost belligerent tone. “It’s not copyrighted!”


“Yes it is,” I told him. “It’s automatically copyrighted when I publish it.”


The balding CPA’s face turned pink. He seemed angry. “Oh, really,” he said. “It’s not copyrighted.”


There was something definitely wrong with this guy, a screw loose somewhere. I got up from my seat. The guy’s face was getting red. I was finished with the jerk. “Thanks for doing my taxes,” I said as I headed out of his private office.


He followed me into the reception area. “Copyrighted, my ass!” he said.


“Go to hell,” I said, and walked out. I could see his red face looking out the window, lost in his own weird world.


Ken West, a former U.S. Army paratrooper, is president of Better Grip Media LLC and author of Get What You Want! Workbook… available worldwide on Amazon.com and other online booksellers. In the U.S. at http://bit.ly/alF9vp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter